Sunday 26 July 2015

Dallas - Texas: Dealey Plaza and the John F Kennedy Centre

Monday morning after the festival we drove to Dallas, once we had checked in at our hotel we headed out for something to eat and discovered Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse.  I had a pulled pork sandwich with the hugest onion rings I had ever seen....tasty there were as well!


Once we had satisfied our tummies we headed into Downtown Dallas as we wanted to visit the John F Kennedy Centre.  



Almost there!


Behind me is the 'Red Museum'.  We didn't have time to go in there.





Strolling along by the fountains, I was very tempted to jump in!





We come to Dealey Plaza - the 'Birthplace of Dallas'



Interesting plaques depicting various historical features of Dallas.







The day was as sunny as sunny can be, with amazing blue skies, but boy was it hot!


I certainly needed my sun hat!



The Grassy Knoll





Information boards.



Inside the JFK Centre.


Trying to attract his attention, but he seemed to not notice me!


We weren't allowed to take photos on the sixth floor unfortunately, which was a shame as it was very interesting.  For the price of entry, it would have been nice if we had been given a small pamphlet/information booklet to take away, but sadly not.  It would have been good as there was a lot to see and much for a very small boy to remember, and it would have been helpful to have had a little souvenir of the exhibit.  You can read more about it here.


We were allowed to take photos on the seventh floor but there was not a lot in there to see, apart from the view of where the assassination of JF Kennedy happened.





I contemplate what it must have been like and the feelings people must have had when it happened.

It was a long way up.



We study the map to see when what route to take back


I patiently point out which direction we need to go.



See, this is the way I explain as I point it out on the map.


We hop on board the free Trolley bus and head back to our hotel exhausted.


More tomorrow....

8 comments:

  1. Nice post Henry! It looks like you really enjoyed your trip to Texas. Thank you for sharing the photos! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a great time Ginger, thank you. Glad you are enjoying the photographs...the best is yet to come!

      Delete
  2. What fun you have Henry! Thanks for giving us at home an update of your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you have been enjoying the posts, I sure did have a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. Great tour, Henry! And you are so good at pointing out directions on the map!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it. I have had lots of practice with orienteering :-) My older brother has showed me how.

      Delete
  4. You look as if you are becoming a very clever and knowledgeable tour guide today. Dare I ask what the outside heat/temperature was like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very very hot! Around the 40 celcius I think...

      Delete