Monday 10 August 2015

Dallas, Texas: Dallas Heritage Village - Part Five - Finale

The final part of my tour round the Dallas Heritage Village.


I wish this had been selling popcorn!


This should really have been on my first Heritage Village  blog post when we walked past the main street and went into the bank which was strategically situated on the corner.   But it is here now.  As it says, all towns had a main street where the important places of business were and various side streets that ran off them.

You may remember I posted this picture...


This was painted on the side of the Blum Brothers' General Store.


(This photo alone was not taken by us - seems this is the only building we missed taking a photo of - it is an image from google)

This store was built in 1907 by Albert Mueller (Miller) on Wolf Street in Dallas.





This store is laid out in a very interactive way with lots of things to do and look at and you can 'act' a part as a shop keeper of postmaster/mistress.



They had brooms to sweep the floor 


Oops, no milk today though, sorry.


Lots of toys and dolls available to purchase.


I had a chat with this China head lady to see how long she had been sitting in the store...but she didn't say much.


She looked slighted resigned, although somewhat content in a strange way.


There were some great toys I would loved to have been able to play with and bring home with me.



Can I help you?

Your mail delivery?  


Let me see...no sorry nothing for you today.



It seems they had rather a fondness for stuffed animals, skins and animal heads!  I wouldn't want to argue with this fellow.


The other side of the store.


Potatoes in a prune box?  Whatever next?!


How many potatoes would you like?


Let me ring up your account.


No change today.


The Saloon was next. to the general store It seems that many German immigrants brought with them recipes and traditions from their ancestral homes and that included the taste of beer.  In 1901 Dallas had 200 saloons!  Man they must have liked drinking!!  Apparently that was one for every 200 citizens..,  The Saloons offered a place to meet, play cards dominoes and converse and this saloon was a fairly respectable establishment without much worry of brawls etc.  





Oh the poor bear....how sad is that. 


More heads on the wall


The piano player would sit and play familiar tunes in the background



There was even an old barbers chair in the corner!



Outside was an old tin watering bath - wish it had been full!


Lastly a picture of the Browder Springs Hall which we didn't get a chance to look in as we were patiently being waited for by the rest of our party who wanted to move on as the heat was getting too much.  This hall was built in 1906 and was a typical structure of the time.  It would have been used for many types of commercial activities.  It is currently used as a gathering place for various meetings, presentations and celebrations.


After the Dallas Heritage Village we went into Dallas itself to the Art Museum


The approach.

Most of the time in the museum Mum was looking at the art, but I did see a couple of things than amazed me....


I was astounded at the size of this bed


I really was quite humungous


Could you imagine sleeping in a bed this size - you would almost get lost in it.


I stare up at it in utter amazement.


This tells you a little about the bed and how it came about.


The only other pictures I have are these which I thought my friend Rory would be interested in.


Standing in front of the frogs.


The information board telling you about the sculptures.

Finally at closing time we had to leave the museum.


Here we all are in front of the museum fountain.


Jackie, Mum, Me, Barbie, Marti and Donna.

Thank you wonderful ladies for your infinite patience with me and my fascination in the Dallas Heritage Village.  I had a truly awesome time.  You are the best!


Lastly a little bit of fun on the way back to our car and then hotel we road on one of the free trams that goes round the city.


With a name like Matilda....


She could only have come from Australia!


I was exhausted after my long day and slept all the way back to the hotel!





2 comments:

  1. Hi Henry. I wish I had room in our house for that amazing bed! Just think how many of us could share all that space. I really, really liked the interior of the old general store; it was so cool. We have lots of antique kitchenalia and toys in our house so it was great fun to look at the items "for sale" in the store. I would have enjoyed visiting that store! Your friend, Angelo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're up early Angelo! Glad you enjoyed the post - it was an extra long one, but I had such fun while I was there, everything was just so interesting. How wonderful that you have lots of antique kitchenalia and toys in your home.

      Delete