Sunday 24 January 2016

Portsmouth Historic Dockyards - Part Two

Part Two of my day at Portsmouth Historic Dockyards.


Wow, you are big!


While deciding where to go next, we popped into the museum and I happened to come across King Henry VIII.  We had hoped to see the Mary Rose, but she was closed ready for re-opening in the summer.


My you are a big fellow I say...


Um...Hello up there!


No response, so I pose for a photo in front of him.

We decided to go and see HMS Warrior next while the weather was still holding out.


She has rather an impressive figurehead.


This tells you a little about it.


The HMS Warrior was launched in 1860. and at that time no warship was ever the focus of so much attention as her, nor had such a profound effect on navel architecture.  She was built to counter French developments in navel shipbuilding and at that time was the fastest, largest and most powerful warship in the world.  HMS Warrior was the first iron-hulled armoured warship in the world.  Amazingly she never fired a shot in anger and yet changed naval warfare forever.


We go on deck and of course the first thing I see is a canon!


I think this might have been some sort of life raft


Peggy Sue joins me.


We pretend we have gone back in time to the mid 1800s.


The views from the deck - not an especially nice day and rather windy!



Looking back down the deck.


It is not long before I introduce myself to this fine sailor and we make friends.


Rory would have so loved this!


I enjoy looking around the inside of this ship.




Lots of guns


and more guns



and more!


Looking into some of the officer quarters.


Looks quite comfortable.



This is even more spacious and palatial.



Another room





Where the men would work, eat and sleep.


The kitchen




Shiny brass pots.


The bunks were hung over the canons!  I couldn't imagine having to sleep like this


I give it a go though.


Waiting to be served...


Wow, this is a big chain!


There you can see it better when a flash is used.


The ships store room where rations are dealt out...what can I see in the distance?


A mouse!


A large meeting room where they would have planned various strategies.


Another smaller officers room.






Dinning room.

It was all very interesting to see where they lived and the contrast between where the officers would have eaten and slept compared to the others.  

Part Three to come....

2 comments:

  1. I always enjoy joining 'Dear' Henry on his adventures! So much to see and learn! Thanks for posting these very interesting outings. My sailing oilskins were royal blue but much prefer your bright yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Henry! You met King Henry VII. He probably wasn't ignoring you - he just couldn't see you because his belly was in the way (not to mention the formidable codpiece. I liked seeing the officers quarters which are very smart. Your friend, Angelo

    ReplyDelete