Wednesday 5 August 2015

Dallas, Texas: Dallas Heritage Village - Part Two

My tour round Dallas Heritage Village continues...


Outside the Miller house there was a storage shed with lots of bits of pottery in it.


Inside there was a trap door leading down to a cellar where goods would have been kept to keep them cool.

I continue my journey round the village.




An information board tells me all about why the pioneers needed pottery.


I investigate the kiln,


and the piles of broken pottery.


We pass by another house that is currently closed for restoration.



I continue my wander and learn all about the area.




I am not sure if these are original or have just been put here for 'show' but there would have been lots of cases of young deaths in these times.




So sad.


Next I find the garden area.


Gonna' grow me some cotton.


This place is a log house.


The information board tells us a little about the house and how it came to be here.


Inside you can see how it may have looked all those years ago and the furnishings it may have had.



Cute little rocking horse on the mantle piece - it looked about my size!


The bed was covered with netting to keep away the insects when sleeping


You can see the handmade quilt on the bed and the cradle beside it.


A little china head doll is in the bed.


Kitchen.


How they used to insulate the cabin.


Lovely blueware china on the dresser. - Well that is what Mum said anyway - they just look like plates to me!


All sorts of things going on in here.  Spinning wheel, wool winder and lots of other things to find.


Another hand made quilt.


There was like a centre porch with the rooms on either side.



Another kitchen area  - seems there were a lot of kitchen/living areas in this place!



Outside is another garden area with lots of watering cans hanging on the fence.


Pretty flowers.


Machinery!  I think this was to grind knives and things.


I have a go.


Hey Leilani, what are you doing on there?


She tells me she is pretending to wash the clothes.


I can see some sheep!


Leilani, does get herself into some funny positions.


Excuse me Miss, but do you know the way to the donkeys?


Pardon?  Oh, okay, thank you.


Here they are!


I say hello to Nip and Tuck, the Mammoth Jack Donkeys.






Next on my travels I find the smithy where the blacksmith works.


All is quiet today, no fire and no hammering on the anvil.


All sorts of things to look at in here.


Leilani and I stand beneath the heart and chat.


We are having a really interesting time.  The grown-ups are flagging a bit but we are still raring to go.



I find another store room.


What?


Only one piece of corn?  That isn't going to go far.


All places need a water pump.


I wonder if it still works.


I tried and tried, but think it must have dried up.


I head over towards the little church



Inside there are wooden pews - very simple, but pleasant.


Information board telling us about the church and its origins.


Sweet little chapel.


Over towards the school next I head.



In I go...


Ooh, it looks big inside.


The children would hang their food billy cans on hooks.


Some items were on display.


This looks like it would have been fun.


All the desks lined up facing the front.   There would have been mixed ages within the one classroom.


Work was written on a slate.


The flag would be hung 


The teacher had a good view of the whole class on her raised platform.



I think children would have made sure they behaved and took notice!

6 comments:

  1. What an interesting place Henry, so much to see. I suppose they transported all those historic buildings from their original homes on a large low-loader or something. Or maybe they took them apart piece by piece and put them back together again at the Heritage Village. The quilts are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There really was an incredible amount of things to see in this place and Mum and I could have stayed there all day really absorbing it all.

      Yes they would have transported them partly on long loaders and also some would have been partially dismantled - being made of wood they are easier to transport than such houses would be here in the UK. In NZ houses are often moved this way and in fact my Aunty had a 100 year old Kauri Villa moved on to her land to restore as their home.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Henry for the very nice photos taken in Texas. I enjoyed seeing the many interesting things in the Village and especially the donkeys, the inside of the houses and buildings, and also the dear little china head dolls. I am sure you had a wonderful time on your trip! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Aunty Ginger. So glad you are enjoying them. The little china head dolls were so sweet - Mum really liked them.

      Delete
  3. Never mind the raised teacher's desks in those days I had them in my boarding school BUT I'll let you into a secret that if you sit in one of the desks directly underneath it you are completely out of sight.... until the teacher steps down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! I can well imagine the mischief you must have got up to Aunty Kendal...:-)

      Delete